History of Station 12 -
1946 - 1959
June 11, 1946 - After several meetings by interested citizens, a temporary organization to protect Clinton Township was formed. Earl LeGrande served as acting President and Arthur Hughes as acting Secretary.
Officers nominated at the meeting and later elected were: Charles Adams, President; Frank Stover, Vice President; Arthur Hughes, Secretary; Robert Murphy, Treasurer; C.L. Hulsizer, Lester Page and Leonard Waltman, Trustees; Earl LeGrande, Fire Chief; Earl Winder and Stan Bortz, Assistants. The Company Charter was approved by the County Court 8-26-1946.
On June 24, 1946, the company had a membership of 81. On September 16, 1946, C.L. Hulsizer donated all the blocks for a new building and V.L. Albeck and George Thomas were named co-chairman of the building committee.
In December, 1946, Mr. LeGrande resigned due to a change in residence and Richard Cherry was elected Fire Chief, serving until 1950. During this time, the contract for the Howe pumper, on a Chevrolet chassis was signed. The chassis was donated by C.L. Hulsizer. He returned the money given to him by the fire company and directed that it be used to pay for the conversion of the chassis into a fire pumper.
The building was started by the members on May 17, 1948 on a lot purchased from Fred Tebbs. The 30 x 60 foot building was completed on January 1, 1949.
The initial meeting of the Clinton Township Volunteer Fire Company Auxiliary was held at the Hulsizer garage on September 10, 1946 with Mrs. Arthur Hughes as acting chairman. Nomination of officers was opened and the following were elected: Mrs. Arthur Hughes, President; Mrs. Elmer Fetterman, Vice-President; Mrs. Selma Buck, Secretary; Mrs. John Bartlett, Treasurer; Mrs. Charles Wagner, Assistant Secretary; Mrs. Burrell Houseknecht, Mrs. Richard Cherry and Mrs. Joseph Goldstein, Trustees.
In the following years, through the cooperation and help of the Auxiliary in fund raising campaigns, the company expanded. Some of the most noteworthy improvements to the property were as follows: a two bay truck room was added to the building in 1954 to make room for the company’s equipment truck which was purchased in 1953 at the cost of $700 and had been stationed in the Clinton Township Building. The land between the fire hall and the Gulf Station was purchased in November 1955 from Mr. Fred Tebbs at a price of $1,500. Also in November 1955 the company had their first modern communication system with the purchase of two walkie-talkies and a mobile two-way radio, which was installed in the 1946 pumper. This equipment and other units which were added since that time have proved to be one of the major factors in making the Clinton Township Fire Company one of the most effective fire fighting units in the County. In July 1959, the original by-laws were amended to try to improve the membership. Improvements followed and in November 1959, the company received their new 1959, 500 gallon per minute, 500 gallon, Howe pumper, which was on a Chevrolet chassis.